Monday, November 27, 2006

"Pinoy Howard Stern"?

I've been a fan of talk radio for a long time. I've listened to lots of shows in the US and here in the Phils. It's quite interesting how the different markets/cultures spawn various styles of programs.

Lately, I've heard a certain DJ here being called the "Filipino Howard Stern". I think it's ridiculous. Anybody who's really heard both shows knows that there are a ton of differences. (I can give you a whole list.) But the biggest: Stern's show became famous by pushing Federal restrictions and the freedom of speech envelope, this local program creates hype using gossip and celebrity intrigue.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Pinoy show is pretty entertaining. It could actually do quite well here in the Philippines. But is it in any way similar to Stern? Not by a long shot.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

Agree with you 200%!
Funny on how people in Manila have a benchmark for everything US. Don't think it's right to have gossip and celeb intrigue be the source of basis for anything...those are just plain talkshow topics. If they compare this to People.com via radio, then that's a more correct comparison. It's all for entertainment.

Howard Stern is a league of his own since he's more political than celeb oriented.

There's one show that I miss in Vancouver when I was a high school/college student called Sex Lives & Audio Tape...now that's putting more education to the radio than gossip. I miss that show because it really helped a lot of young teens get over their lives when certain problems couldn't be brought out as easily to their parents. I believe the show was hosted by Rhonna Raskin (?). I really learned a lot and know more about what's going with this world. We need more shows like this for our teens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home