Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why overplay songs?

(This is adapted from an article by Dan O'Day, one of my Radio idols)

"Why do radio stations... beat a song to death... play a certain song every, say... 2 or 3 hours ?"

Because:

A) Listeners do not want to wait several hours to hear their favorite songs.

B) Playing the most popular songs frequently (which can be more frequently than every 3 hours) translates into larger ratings...Always.

------

Most people don't listen to the radio for hours straight, so playing popular songs frequently increases their chances of hearing what they want. It's funny how many people request for songs that we've played just minutes before. - Rick

4 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi DJ Rick!

I was quite curious about how my favorite Jam DJs look like so I searched for them on the net... and I found your blog!

Just wishing you to keep it up always and continue spinning our favorite hits.

As for your post, I find the songs by Incubus and Regina Spektor quite overplayed as I've listened to Jam for hours during the past few days... not that I got sick of them already, actually it made me like them more (especially Regina Spektor).

Anyway, keep it up again guys and take care! Go Jam!

Dan :)

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger DJ Rick of Jam 88.3 said...

Thanks for searching us. For pictures and updates, you can go to http://djrick.multiply.com
The other DJs with multiply accounts are connected to me there.

Incubus and Regina S are among listener favorites.

Thanks again! See you on multiply!

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

sadly...i turn to your station 24/7 at work...well...more like 12/5 hahaha! there are times when the songs being "beaten" gets to me and thus I have to either put my earphones away or tune into something else since I've heard the songs over and over again within one day. :P I'm sure that there are times when a DJ would say...they are tired of a song. :PP J/k!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger DJ Rick of Jam 88.3 said...

when you listen that long, it's ok to turn the radio off when you hear a song again. just make sure you always come back to us. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home