Sunday, February 18, 2007

Why I don't like V-Day

That time of year has come and passed and now it's out of our systems.  That gives us good perspective to analyze Valentine's day.  

Over the past years I've boycotted it.  No, I'm not a lonely single person sour graping.  In fact, I'm in the best relationship of my life.  So why do I not like Feb 14?


#1 - It makes lonely people feel even worse.  Why do we have to do that?

#2 - It makes people who are not lonely, yet single, think that they HAVE to find a lover.

#3 - For people in relationships, it's just a reason to expect too much.  So there's more of a chance for a letdown.

#4 - It's too commercialized. Yet even though we know it, we still buy into the concept.

#5 - It's not even a real holiday.  At least Christmas is a real holiday.


It's not wrong to celebrate love.  But if an occasion's primary moving force is large corporations wanting you to spend more money, then shouldn't we think twice about it?

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

agree...but now that i've been with someone...it's kinda cool to be with someone in general on vday. :) it's true that everyday should somehow be vday...not only one day of the year...and yes, expectations go out-of-proportions on this one particular day. bdays are more important to me. :P

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger DJ Rick of Jam 88.3 said...

My wife and I boycott Vday. But we usually go out the weekend before or after.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home