Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lucky survivor of Hurricane Ike

I recall talking on air in Manila a couple of years ago, about Hurricane Katrina devastating New Orleans and Hurricane Rita threatening Houston. Little did I know that not long after, I'd be in the region staring down the same local version of a Typhoon.

Houston doesn't usually get hit hard by storms, since it's far inland, but we decided to drive to Austin as a precaution. We also knew that there would be strong winds and a chance of losing power, so we didn't want the kids to be scared or sweating in the dark.

When we returned home, we saw that we were among the most lucky. There was only minor damage to the house and we still had power, gas and water. Today, almost a week later, lots of my office mates still don't have some of those basic utilities.

I've been in the US for about six months already. I don't have live a luxurious lifestyle. I don't have a big house with several luxury cars. (I never really wanted all that.) But I am extremely thankful for the things that I do have. That is feeling is something you just can't buy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home