Monday, July 21, 2008

DJs, money and automobiles

Most people think that announcers earn a lot of money. Well, they don't. It's not that radio Disk Jockeys are exploited or anything like that. The job actually pays pretty well, for a part-time gig. It's just that the monthly take-home amount isn't that much.

Since practically nobody gets rich in Radio, most announcers need to have jobs on the side. At Jam 88.3 we had Jocks different types of sideline work (voice talent, teacher, photographer, emcee, model, student, tv reporter, executive, etc.).

Most of the jocks in Manila are freelance voice talents and/or emcees, for obvious reasons. But because the work is freelance, the pay isn't steady. There are busy times when lots of projects come in, and slow times when income is scarce.

Due to this fact, believe it or not, many announcers there don't have their own cars. Banks just don't approve loans for people with unsteady income. Since the judicial system is slow to enforce laws, lenders need to be on the safe side.

Unfortunately, this situation is a common cause for embarrassment for DJs. Announcers need to maintain an image in front of fans of the station. But jocks often have to show up and leave events via public transportation. It's worse at high-class stations, where many listeners have their own cars.

I have been quite blessed. Sometime in the middle of my career as an announcer, I landed a few big voice over contracts all at the same time. This allowed me to buy my dad's car (at a discount, of course). I understood the situation of my workmates, so I tried to give rides as often as possible.

Last week I bought my first new car here in America. It's unbelievable how easy the process was. I couldn't help but think of how many things had to fall in to place in order for me to get my old car.

I know there are lots of my former comrades-in-arms going through what I went through before. WIth the worldwide economy not doing so well, it must be worse than ever. I pray that they will soon get as lucky as I once did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home