Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Down, but not out, on Christmas

I was so sick on the 24th that I couldn’t get out of bed for our Christmas Eve dinner. Considering that for the first time, my daughter wasn’t with us, you’d think that being ill would just put me over the edge of depression. Instead, I was actually ok.

It’s not that I don’t miss her. I do. But here’s why it didn’t get to me…

Over the past weekend I hosted an event where the winners of a contest had their Christmas wish granted. One poor family won a “Noche Buena” feast, while the grand prize went to a boy with cerebral palsy whose family couldn’t afford a wheelchair.

I was on stage when it hit me… my problems, though they may be tough, aren’t nearly the worst in the world. Of course, all of us know that. But when it’s right there in front of your face, there’s a huge impact nonetheless.

I was at the event to earn a talent fee of several thousand pesos. Little did I know, I would leave with a much more valuable reminder of how lucky I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home