Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I voted for the first time yesterday

I've never voted before. Not because I didn't want to. I just couldn't. I spent most of my adult life in the Philippines where, because of my citizenship, I wasn't allowed to vote for local officials.

I could have voted for a few US Presidential elections at the embassy in Manila, but that was way too much of a hassle for just one vote for one office.

So for the past years, I've been more or less silent.

When I walked into the polling station yesterday, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. I felt a mixture of pride and a sense of empowerment.

Of course, my vote was only one in a sea of millions, but what mattered more to me was that I was able to do my duty and have my say.

Now, I have the right to complain about the government all I want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home