Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Not Michael Buffer, but still something

Just recently, someone told me they were surprised at how much DJs get for hosting gigs. I can understand this reaction from people who don’t hire emcees often. But the industry standard is quite fair. Here are some the reasons why professional hosts come at a premium...

Not just anybody can do the job. Surveys have proven that public speaking is feared by many even more than death. But as an events host, you don't just read a speech. You also have to carry the entire event by keeping the audience excited. This is not as easy as it seems.

Not just anybody can do the job well. Take note, I said "well". This is part of the training of a DJ. Jocks host lots of events for our stations. So the experience is part of the package. I'm not saying we're the only ones that do it well. But your chances of a good host are better.

You’re getting a pseudo-celebrity. We're nowhere near the status of celebrities (nor do we think we are) but we are known by some. Just mentioning the fact that we are DJs is impressive to many. That, in itself, is worth more than getting just anyone off the street.

There are other reasons why DJs as hosts are valuable, but these are the main ones. Hmm... If I find the time, maybe I'll blog guidelines on how to get hosts at bargain rates.

1 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

I know what you mean. I am paying a really heavy premium for my wedding emcee due to the fact that she can speak Mandarin, Hok Kien, English and really does well in the Chinese community.

My cousin told me that there are places in Manila that really train future DJs around town. I might want to check that since I plan to do a big career change or something. I want to be a DJ some day...if not, the next life time! :)
I would like to have the same confidence as you and the rest of the "well" DJs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home