Monday, April 09, 2007

Sorta doing an "Edu"

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that a few people were posting songs from my CD "The Blend" on Multiply. So I sent out some messages asking them to take down their posts. I'm thankful that most of those I contacted responded well.

It turns out that many people don't know that this type of music posting is not just wrong but also illegal. I guess society has gotten so used to piracy and file sharing that we just tend to accept it.

It just makes me mad when I think of music genres like a cappella that suffer because of this, or of promising bands that don't get signed because record labels can't earn from CD sales.

I'll try to contact those that still post our music illegally. But sending all those messages is so time-consuming that I'll probably just report the abuse to Multiply.

2 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

Oh my...i wonder if this also applies to CDs that were bought but wanted to share (not downloadable) online? I wonder how MSN's MySpace works on this? I know you can bookmark or put songs to one's profile from the main artist's MySpace site.
It's good that the ones that you did message took down the songs...we need more people like you - vigilant to educate, inform and monitor online...or people to just care and not do it.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger DJ Rick of Jam 88.3 said...

I'm no sure about that. To be safe, you might not want to do that.

Yeah, I just hope I'm somehow putting a dent into the illegal file-sharing that's happening.

I mean, we really need to help our artists out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home