Monday, September 03, 2007

Almost, but not quite there yet

A few days ago I had another follow up with the doctor that performed the surgery on my back. He seemed happy with my progress, but said that there are still some things that I can't do.

I was hoping he'd say that I could go running and play tennis again, but that's still out of the question. My lower back has to heal a little more before it can handle that stress. It's understandable, since I do get aches when I stand or walk for extended periods.

It was disappointing since my inability to do most exercises has hurt my weight-loss efforts. I'm mainly allowed to do some swimming. But the weather over the past weeks hasn't allowed it.

One interesting thing the Doc explained to me was my muscle scarring. I thought the stiffness that I've been feeling was something permanent. But apparently it's just very tight scar tissue. I just need to do some light stretching to fix it.

I was pretty much settled on the idea that I would never be nearly the same again. But who knows? If everything goes well, I might get close to the way I was. One thing's for sure, it's going to take some more time.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger ~currant7 said...

best not to force this okay?
you get better slowly.

i know swimming is good since your body is not waited so much and the buoyancy will help in you moving around and exercising the right muscles. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home